Thursday, September 29, 2011

Recent Past: Berry Chocolate Mousse Cake

IMG_1469

I made this cake over a year ago while going through a mousse cake phase. It was for my boss's inlaw's birthday and I was asked to do a cake before the end of my shift. At the time I was obsessed with a Japanese cakes book with beautiful, informative step by step guides (I have a confession to make, I can't read Japanese kanji, so I have to rely on these pictures and use my own recipes!)



IMG_2274

This book had some beautiful cakes and innovative decorating techniques. What struck me the most was a  strawberry fruit insert that topped one of the mousse cakes (White chocolate or bavarian cream one I believe). So in those 6 hours of my shift, I set out to make a cake inspired by one from this book.

Inside my version is a blackout sponge (deep dark chocolate and coffee sponge cake) and the mousse is raspberry flavoured. The decorative top has fresh cut strawberries floating in a raspberry fruit insert. This is one of my favorite mousse cakes to make just because it has such a beautiful finish!


IMG_1471

IMG_1472

One day I'll post a step by step tutorial on how to create this. It's a lot of fun and impresses! :)

1 comment:

  1. Can you show how to make this cake?
    My email address is kubeen81@gmail.com

    Love it!
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete